What to Expect When You Are Expecting Multiples!
Our prenatal course, Multiple Expectations, offers hints, ideas and true-life stories about coping with newborn multiples. It also offers expectant parents the opportunity to participate in a supportive network with other parents who are expecting twins or more. These classes are not designed to provide medical information and should not be a replacement for hospital prenatal classes. On the other hand, all classes are taught by volunteers who themselves are parents of multiples. We provide you with our own experience and share knowledge and ideas to help you deal with multiples.
Our Saturday one-day classes usually begin at 9:00 a.m. and run until 3:00 p.m. (unless specified otherwise)
Our classes usually take place somewhere central in the city.
Cost per couple (not per person): $40 for members and $50 for non-members (includes all relevant materials for the course).
We cover the following topics (depending on the interest in the class):
- Introduction to the MBFA
- Prenatal nutrition and activity
- What to do if put on bed rest
- Common worries and concerns that parents have when expecting multiples and how to cope
- Being classified as "high risk pregnancy" ... what does this mean for mom and babies?
- Pre-term labour - how to know what it is and what to do if it happens
- Other complications that can arise with multiple pregnancies
- If you have premature babies, what to expect and how to cope
- Guest speakers sharing their pregnancy, labour and delivery stories and what helped them cope at home with more than one newborn!
Labour and delivery of multiples, the variations that can occur
The stages of labour
Medical and non-medicated forms of pain control during labour & delivery
What is induction?
Information on what to expect if you have to have a cesarean section
Post-partum recovery for mom and babies DVD viewing of a twin and/or triplet deliveries
- Post-partum "baby blues" vs. depression
- Surviving at home with multiples (including what equipment, clothing, etc. other parents of multiples have found to be lifesavers!)
- Feeding your babies (schedule vs. on-demand, bottle, breast, pumping breast milk, etc.)
- Guest speakers from Breastfeeding Buddies program (city of Ottawa) and MBFA volunteer
- Caring for your babies
September 19, 2015 from 9:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. at Loblaws College Square, Community Room (1980 Baseline Road)
November 28, 2015 from 9:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. at Nepean Sportsplex, Hall E (1701 Woodroffe Ave.)